This photo was taken at 21:51 PST on 2003/02/27 ( February 27, 2003 at 9:51pm ) from a
vantage point a few blocks off Hilltop Drive, near the intersection with Peppertree, in Redding, CA.
The photo is near a raw state from the camera, it is cropped to leave out areas that were completely
dark, and compressed enough to shorten your downloading time.
The following is my attempt to describe what you see in the photo.
- The bright light near center is near the river, to the South of Turtle Bay Elementary School, and East of North Market Street. I believe this to be part of the construction area for the bridge I mention below.
- In about the 1 o'clock to 2 o'clock position from there, you can see some lights that are rectangular, those are in the Parking Lots West of the Convention Center (aka the Civic Auditorium for us old timers)
- About 2 o'clock position from there, you can see several red lights in a group, this is Redding Medical Center
- Also referenced from the Convention Center, in about 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock position, and along the edge of the lighted band, you can see Mercy Medical Center of Redding. It is a well lit with the parking structure on the left as a rectangular group of lights.
- Near the right edge of the photo, you may be able to spot what appears to be a bright blue light, with a pale green light almost touching it. This would be the Shasta County Court House. And just to its left, a violet and white light, surrounded with grey, and this would be the Shasta County Criminal Justice Center (aka the jail)
- The closest lights on the left side I believe is the location of the South end new foot bridge being built at the East end of the River Trail
- The remaining area on the left, Park Marina Drive is closest, then the Garden Track area, then South Market Street.
- There is a string of yellow lights just left of center that may be at Sequoia School, and from the 10 o'clock to the 12 o'clock position from there, you can spot a mostly dark area and then a cluster of lights, varying in color, with a dark area behind them, leading me to suspect that those could be the Redding Civic Center, between Cypress Avenue and Parkview, and between Athens Avenue and Akard.
- At the far left edge, there are several strings of lights, the closest may be along Hemstead Drive, North of Cypress Avenue. Behind that the group of very intense lights are apparently the auto dealerships along Cypress, from Hemstead Drive towards Bechelli Lane. To the right of that, the Cobblestone Shopping Centers, and to the right of that, six pairs of lights in line, being Cypress Street Bridge.
- Returning to the Mercy Medical Center area, immediately to its left would be the Starlight Drive area, between Railroad Avenue and Buena Ventura Drive.